On Christmas day, it can be hard to maintain your will-power and choose the best foods. But don’t worry – with a bit of guidance from The Natural Way, you can make the right choices (and not feel deprived) to ensure you stay healthy and still have a good time.
Make healthy Christmas lunch / dinner choices
* For starters try melon or smoked salmon. Salmon is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that are important for a healthy heart.
* Pile on the vegetables! Brussels sprouts, broccoli & cauliflower belong to the Brassica family & all contain antioxidants, which can help protect against heart disease and cancer (do not smother them in butter or any other fatty spread). Cold, crisp salads are also recommended – without ‘drowning’ them in oil-based dressings.
* Turkey is low in fat and high in protein so it’s a great choice on Christmas Day, but do not eat the skin or you will be adding more fat and calories.
* If you can’t do without your roast potatoes, cook them using a vegetable oil spray or a minimal amount of olive oil. Also, cut them into large chunks so they’ll absorb less fat.
Select healthy snacks
* Cherries are a great source of Vitamin C so have a large bowl of these and other fruits in season available.
* A great healthy ‘nibble’ is rice crackers / pretzels or raw vegetable sticks served with low-fat dips or salsa.
* Eat a healthy breakfast when you wake up Christmas morning – by starting the day with a low-fat, high protein breakfast (or even just fruit), you will have a rise in blood sugar levels, making it less likely for you to pick at more naughty ‘treats’ while waiting for lunch to be served.
Recognise when enough is enough
* This is a tricky one but you should be full, not absolutely stuffed after your Christmas meal. Listen to your body and stop eating and drinking before you get heartburn!
* Being active is just as important as healthy eating and a great way of burning off extra calories. It can also help reduce stress levels. Take an early morning walk on Christmas day or even a stroll after lunch and it will help you feel a whole lot better.
For more ideas to help you stay healthy over the Christmas and New Year time grab your copy of The Natural Ways’ Christmas Program and check out the tips! (With FREE R25 Credit Voucher)
Plan to spend your $25 Voucher in January – a good way to start 2020!