On Christmas day, it can be hard to maintain your will-power and choose the best foods. But don’t worry – with a bit of guidance from The Natural Way, you can make the right choices (and not feel deprived) to ensure you stay healthy and still have a good time.
Make healthy Christmas lunch / dinner choices
* For starters try melon or smoked salmon. Salmon is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that are important for a healthy heart.
* Pile on the vegetables! Brussels sprouts, broccoli & cauliflower belong to the Brassica family & all contain antioxidants, which can help protect against heart disease and cancer (do not smother them in butter or any other fatty spread). Cold, crisp salads are also recommended – without ‘drowning’ them in oil-based dressings.
* Turkey is low in fat and high in protein so it’s a great choice on Christmas Day, but do not eat the skin or you will be adding more fat and calories.
* If you can’t do without your roast potatoes, cook them using a vegetable oil spray or a minimal amount of olive oil. Also, cut them into large chunks so they’ll absorb less fat.
Select healthy snacks
* Cherries are a great source of Vitamin C so have a large bowl of these and other fruits in season available.
* A great healthy ‘nibble’ is rice crackers / pretzels or raw vegetable sticks served with low-fat dips or salsa.
* Eat a healthy breakfast when you wake up Christmas morning – by starting the day with a low-fat, high protein breakfast (or even just fruit), you will have a rise in blood sugar levels, making it less likely for you to pick at more naughty ‘treats’ while waiting for lunch to be served.
Recognise when enough is enough
* This is a tricky one but you should be full, not absolutely stuffed after your Christmas meal. Listen to your body and stop eating and drinking before you get heartburn!
* Being active is just as important as healthy eating and a great way of burning off extra calories. It can also help reduce stress levels. Take an early morning walk on Christmas day or even a stroll after lunch and it will help you feel a whole lot better.
For more ideas to help you stay healthy over the Festive season, grab a copy of The Natural Ways’ Christmas Program. For the small price of $15, not only will you find more great tips, but delicious recipe ideas and a $25 voucher redeemable for use in our clinics OR for online purchases in 2019. It is available in clinic NOW or you can order online by visiting our website: https://www.thenaturalway.com.au/product/christmas-program-25-00-voucher/